Too many times in life, we become complacent and boring. Because we are too poor, or too young, or too lazy to get up and travel to some exotic land, we just accept defeat and confine ourselves to a boring cycle of routine, yet complain about how dull it is.
To fall into this cycle is to throw one’s life away.
Peter Pan himself said it best: “To live will be an awfully big adventure”
You don’t need to travel the globe to find adventure. Life in itself is the greatest adventure that you could ever hope to find. It’s just about learning to find the hidden adventures in our daily routines, as well as making up our own.
- Have a water balloon fight in the middle of the night…. just because you can
- Try a new food, just because it scares you a little bit
- Immerse yourself in sonder: the realization that every single person around you has a story. Mentally write that story
- Close your eyes and breathe. Take in the scenery around you, be it cityscape, countryside, mountains, or beaches
- Get around to visiting that place you’ve been putting off for too long
- Take a trip down memory lane
- Start a journal (or in my case, a blog) so that you can record all of life’s happenings to look back on later
Whatever you do to enjoy life, just make sure you actually do it. In fifty years, I don’t want to look back on my life and see a bunch of memories that could have been. Rather, I want to smile fondly at all the little adventures I enjoyed.